Re: Ademco Vista Programming

Don wrote:

> I'm glad I don't use ademco!  Hey Jim, what can I put on the back of a
> aiphone door station terminals to protect them from msoisture?  2 screw &
> plate terminals and 22-2 wire going in a pool area and lockerrrom.  custoemr
> said rustoleum.  what  u use on the boat?

When I do a system on a boat, if the device isn't made for marine use I
usually take it apart and spray the PC board (front, back, all over
with a couple of coats) with a moisture protectant that I get at the
local electronics supply house. ( I don't remember the brand) I
suppose, in a pinch, you could use some kind of spray varnish too.
Then, when putting it back together, I usually silicone all any
enclosure openings so that everything inside any containment isn't
exposed to the atmosphere. Lastly, if there are any exposed wire
connections, I use silicone or there's some rubberized electrical
sealant that you can get at a Marine store to cover the connections.
Dip the screws in sealant as you reassmeble the unit. It's a real pain
to have to take apart or replace, but you'll find that it's going to
last far longer than it would otherwise.

I'm not familiar with Aiphone products, but if you're spraying anything
inside it, be carefull not to spray the speaker coil. It's gotta move.
If you can get at the front of the speaker and remove it, I'd try to
cement a thin piece of plastic or mylar or something between the
speaker and the grill, to keep the moisture away from the speaker cone
and coil too. Bare magnets have a way of corroding quickly if they
aren't coated. And speaker magnets aren't. The sound should transfer
through the plastic ok.

Moisture in the air by salt water has that little extra ingredient that
invites electrolysis. You know that green gook that accumulates around
your car battery terminals?  Well you can find that on any electrical
connection on a boat that has been exposed to the salt air or moisture.
That's why all large metal objects on boats are bonded together, to
help eliminate electrolysis.  That's also why the local alarm companys
who say they can do boat alarms, do poor jobs. They just don't have the
experience of being a boater to know that they can't just use standard
parts, connections, wire and protocols. I  was just talking to a
customer that I did a boat alarm for about 20 years ago. I'd forgotten
all about it. He sold the boat but is still in touch with the new
owner. It's still working !!!!!   Damn ..... I'm good!