Re: Why Don't You Like DSC? (Addressed to those that don't.)

> > Wrong. None that were available through
> > distribution maybe but it was being done
> > in the market. Between 1981 and 1989,
> > we installed over 300,000 systems in 39
> > states and all were downloadable.
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> What systems were you using back then?  Since most of my work was
> residential and all but a few panels were purchased through distribution,
> didn't know that.
>
> ISTR the Franklin downloader I used on a very few installations worked by
> phone.  I may be remembering wrong though.  It's been a long time since
> then.  :^)

It was a company called Datavision, Inc., a publicly held company.  Anyone
that may have run across them would say they were junk and because the
industry passed them up with technology over the years, I would have to
agree. But again, for the application and what they were accomplishing
during that era, it was State of the Art and you had to appreciate it for
what it was doing. Main frame computer in Detroit, Mich. later moved to
Deerfield Beach, Florida communicated with these master controllers all over
the country on 9600 baud dedicated data circuits provided by AT&T. Simple
two zone system for apartments, keyswitch with led's and sounder at first
and then incorporated the old Moose 725 keypad later. We were changing
codes, activating and deactivating systems, turning horns off when needed,
putting systems on test for pest control etc. all from the Central Station.
Really cool stuff back then. It was a listed system by "ETL". We did the
manufacturing, software, installation, service and monitoring. That is where
I cut my teeth in the security industry. My father was one of the principles
when I started  installing in Houston TX. and by the time it ended, there
were 17 offices covering 39 states and I was VP of Operations. Ancient
History!

Bo4Secur