Re: Why Don't You Like DSC? (Addressed to those that don't.)

Robert L. Bass wrote:
> > I find Napco not very easy to use for
> > the end user, which is my primary concern.
>
> Jim, this is not intended as a slam but I think the problem might
have more
> to do with teaching methods than the panel itself.  I've taught
thousands of
> people to use Napco systems and probably ten thousand to install
their own.
> Over the years I developed a teaching procedure that seems to work
well.
> Because Napco panels have so many features and options, don't try to
teach
> everything at once.  Walk the entire family through the basice --
arm,
> disarm, bypass, interior on / off and panic modes.  Let each person
take a
> turn doing the basic maneuvers and then answer questions.  Once
everyone is
> comfortable with that much I move on to advanced setting *only* if
they want
> to know.  If not, a return visit can be scheduled after they've had
time to
> use the panel and study the user manual for a while.  Most clients
take the
> latter option.  I often get phone calls a week or two later asking
how to do
> this or that and that's it.
>
> > DSC panels are easy to use, the wireless...sux, software is ok
>
> Yes, but they've also suffered too many failed panels.  Tech support
takes
> forever to answer and then they always want to know who those
characters
> were from NJ and BC... :^)
>
> > Ademco panels are easy to use, wireless...excellent,
> > but eats batteries, software is ok
>
> A fair percentage of my Ademco clients have bought the software.
Most find
> it easy to master.
>
> > Paradox panels are easy to use, the wireless...
> > never tried it, software is ok
>
> I haven't used Paradox wireless on my own jobs but others I know have
spoken
> well of it.  I sell very few Paradox panels and even fewer of their
wireless
> products but that's mainly because customers never ask for it.
They're not
> as well-known as Ademco or even Napco in many places.
>
> > ITI panels somewhat easy to use, wireless is great,
> > but too pricey, software needs work.
>
> On top of that, GE used to frank up way too many shipments.  I
finally went
> with a regional distributor and got better prices and more reliable
service.
> ITI hardware gives very few problems.  I even have a B&B using ITI
wireless
> for commercial fire and the inspector approved it on the first visit.
 Not
> too bad considering it was the client's first DIY job.
>
> > Napco panels require the user manual to do
> > basic things...
>
> That's probably because you're not accustomed to them, Jim.  I almost
never
> need the manual to do anything with them.
>
> > wireless...never tried it...
>
> For my own installs I always preferred hard wired systems but I've
used a
> number of Napco wireless over the years.  They last a long time
without any
> problems, even in some tough environments, such as an unheated garage
in
> Hartford, CT.
>
> > software needs work though version 5
> > is a major improvement.
>
> Agreed.
>
> --

I'll agree to all the Napco comments except for the part about not
needing the manual to do anything with them. There's no way that you or
anyone is ever going to be able to remember what an E17-02 or E06-03 or
any of the error codes are, with out looking at the manual. Don't know
why they just can't say Rec 02 tampr or Rec 03 fail.

Teaching the use of the panels takes some time and I usually teach the
kids different things than the adults and the seniors. Highlight the
manual, where there are things that pertain to the clients system.
Cross out pages on subjects that don't. All totaled ...can sometimes
take an hour and a half. I keep a marked up manual in the clients
folder for future reference.  Sometimes during a follow up telephone
call, items will be clarified. Clients usually settle in on the items
they use and gradually forget what they don't use often. Refering to
the manual (if they haven't misplaced it) or a telephone call answers
the questions.
I always have a dozen or so manuals for each type of panel I install,
stashed (somplace) away for replacments.

And, you don't know very much about the present Napco wireless.
Obviously only what you read.