Re: Why Don't You Like DSC? (Addressed to those that don't.)

Mark Leuck wrote:
> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >

> > Teaching the use of the panels takes some time and I usually teach
the
> > kids different things than the adults and the seniors. Highlight
the
> > manual, where there are things that pertain to the clients system.
> > Cross out pages on subjects that don't. All totaled ...can
sometimes
> > take an hour and a half. I keep a marked up manual in the clients
> > folder for future reference.  Sometimes during a follow up
telephone
> > call, items will be clarified. Clients usually settle in on the
items
> > they use and gradually forget what they don't use often. Refering
> > the manual (if they haven't misplaced it) or a telephone call
answers
> > the questions.
>
> Walk someone through changing a user code on a DSC 832 or Ademco
Vista-15P
> or a Caddx NX-8 and compare that to any Napco panel from the P816 on
up and
> you'll know why Napco isn't popular

Hmmm, I don't seem to have any customer problems with user codes. Just
follow the user manual, step by step, and it must be pretty easy
because I can't remember the last time someone called me to help them
change/add a code....... unless they've misplaced the manual. Course,
maybe all my clients never changed/added a code .........(?)

Most calls I get have to do with the cryptic "Error codes". For some
reason clients never seem to think about looking in the user manual for
the list of meanings. Since most are accompanied with keepad beeping, I
guess they figure it's something that needs a service call. Usually
it's simply an AC loss/breaker, low battery or tamper from a
transmitter after a battery change.

Could be there's easier panels out there, but I don't need them at this
point. As long as I don't have any problems with Napco, over the long
haul, I've been able to teach my clients how to use them and the
programing's a snap, for me ......But it's obviously because I've
evolved with their products. But, even so, it's doesn't make any
difference (to me) if other panels are easier to program ..... for
other people.

Now another story is ...... from NAPCO's point of view, if they are as
hard to program as people seem to think they are, even if it's only a
perception and not reality, it behooves Napco to attend to it. I've
taught some novice installers ( electricians with no experience
whatsoever) how to program Napco and it takes about a half hour, to an
hour with a few follow up questions about some details. I'd guess that
most people who perceive Napco is hard to program, probably tried to do
it with  ..... either no, little or not good training. I have very
little to compare to, but when I do have to program another panel, it
only takes me a few minutes to figure it out. I assumed it was because
Napco was so detailed and with so many options, compared to other mfg's
and because I'd been doing Napco for so long.

Looking back to the beginning, it was just something that came easy to
me in comparison to what Ademco was doing at the time. If it didn't, I
would have likely sought another mfg. Go figure. Recently had to return
a 9600, bad out of the box, but thats the first time in many years,
that I've had a problem. So there's no reason for me to consider
changing, simply because programing may be simpler on another make of
panel. However it *has* to be an issue with Napco.