Re: Opinions on alarms systems configured/monitored over IP network

"Pat Coghlan" <info@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Do you know if the systems you mentioned (plus Lenel) have the following
> capabilities:
>
> - 4-state alarms (active, inactive, short, cut)
> - ability to search database objects (alarm points, cardholders etc.) for
> matching strings
> - canned and customizable reports
> - configurable user permissions (monitor only, configure objects)
> - warm or hot standby server

I know AMAG and Hirsch does... I'm not familiar with Lenel... Can't remember
if Northern supports 4-state, but it has the rest...

The only thing special is the warm/hot standby server, but just about any
system can do that... It's an IT thing, not necessarily a system thing. I
can do that with two Windows boxes running Half-Life 2 (game) if I wanted
to. It's a matter of syncing the drives between two networked boxes (pretty
much emulating a RAID configuration, but with two boxes instead of one). I
would have to rig something for the automatic COM port (panel communications
route) switching, but that wouldn't be too hard. If using networked panels,
this would be even easier. Some systems may have this feature built-in,
especially Enterprise class systems, but since it can be built fairly easily
I wouldn't classify it as a major selling point.