Re: Opinions on alarms systems configured/monitored over IP network

"J. Sloud" <jsloud2001@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:54:04 -0500, "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Few Enterprise solutions are
> >listed for fire, and I'm not just talking monitoring it, that's a whole
> >other issue, but the actual devices, installation.
> >

> A EST3 Synergy system would be one I'm familiar with.  Not only will
> it do access/ fire/ ba/ cctv but it will also interface via Lontalk to
> a host of other systems enabling true integration.
>
> Jack, what else out there will do the same?

Well there's only a few. More and more of the big access boys are getting on
board with things like BacNet, Modbus, Lontalk, and some deeper PLC
Integration. Probably out of all the complete systems I've seen I'd have to
say Andover Controls has some pretty decent stuff. Embedded servers are just
starting to gain momentum, and the programmers are flooding the fields now
with creativeness. The problem for most is, there are so many protocols out
there, where do you focus? And who are/is your client. These technologies
mostly get born, as you know, from Government dealings. I've been seriously
focusing on these embedded servers because there are a few which cross with
multiple protocols, and communications. I know Siemens uses products similar
to Andover Controls, and more and more big clients are looking at the single
package. But....it's not all in house...yet. Electricians are getting
involved and finding a big niche.
MDI for a while in the early 90's also focused a little attention at going
down that road as well. As far as I know, MDI was the first Enterprise
Platform to be UL listed for fire, where others followed only in the
monitoring side of things.
Johnson Controls and Honeywell are probably the most known, through name
recognition, but again, neither are total in house solutions.
AMAG now has a BacNet interface, and along with a DMP interface, so they are
also a good consideration.
I think Lenel and Radionic's also have an Integration Package. I don't know
where Lenel is on the PLC side of things, but the two owners (founders) can
right some serious code.
That's only the security side of things....Turn to the PLC side of the
world....there are hundreds of companies with OAS, PLC Integration and
Automation. None of them have really focused on the security side of things,
there's too much money in Industrial Systems.