Re: Wireless receiver - computer problem?

"Robertm" <Respond@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >> ...Hint: This is not a DIY forum
> >
> > That's true.  It's a security alarms forum.  Any questions about
> > security alarms are pertinent and welcome, regardless if they
> > come from you, one of the IB or a DIYer.  Whether you choose to
> > answer any particular question is your choice.  I choose to
> > support DIYers because I like doing it and because some of them
> > decide to buy from my online store.
> >
> > I ran an alarm company for nearly a quarter century and along the
> > way I learned a few things about installing, servicing and
> > monitoring alarms.  We also did a fair amount of custom audio /
> > video work, mostly home theaters and multi-room sound systems.
> >
> > In my way of thinking, the knowledge I gained working in the
> > trade, along with what I learn at trade shows, seminars and
> > studying countless manuals is a marketable asset.  YMMV.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robert L Bas
> > www.BassBurglarAlarms.com
> >

> I can't help but notice the elevated level of paranoia regarding DIY among
> some of the professionals. The DIY competition, if that's what one wants
> call it, exists in just about every market. Do these alarm pros respect
the
> other trades or are they themselves a DIY. Do they mow their own lawns or
do
> they have a landscape professional? Do they ever work on their own car or
do
> they always bring it to a mechanic. I surely hope they hire a maid, a
> professional chef and a nanny. If they do any of that themselves, they are
> threatening someone else's job. If my alarm business had such a tenuous
hold
> on the marketplace that giving a little advice threatened to put me out of
> business, I'd come up with a better business plan.  Perhaps the alarm
> business is not all that good. When I decided to put in an alarm system, I
> called every company in the county that was listed in the Yellow Pages.
They
> were all out of business. I then called ADT and another company in an
> adjoining county. Both wanted to charge me $800 up front, give me two
doors
> and two motions and then charge me $35 a month for monitoring. No fire
> protection. Two other companies from the big city never called me back.
With
> such a sorry state of affairs, I started to plan my own system. And now
> someone a million miles away thinks I'm taking business away from him.
>
> Bob

That's a pretty good analogy of it. Unfortunately, as American's, and
humans, we are sometimes born and bred to believe the world is about some
kind of get rich quick scheme. We always tend to be re-active, instead of
pro-active. We have a tendency, more often than not, to believe what we
hear, until we see differently. Problem is, most tend to not even look, or
even pay attention to their surroundings. The ones that do, are simply the
minority. It's easier to replace values, with money these days. There's
nothing wrong with the DIY'er, as a human, damn near everyone on the planet
can easily correlate initially, the possible savings, and efficiencies. Your
liabilities for your actions are self induced, and self contained. Most
people don't wish to be responsible for their actions. This is one of the
reasons, which can be seen, why there are more employees than employers in
the world.
Professionals, assume liabilities for others.
DIY'ers, assume they will save money.
The difference is what you, personally value, and the risks involved with
those decisions.

sorry for the rant....