Re: Wireless receiver - computer problem?

Robertm wrote:
> Just bought my Ademco wireless receiver. The literature says to avoid
> interference, it shouldn't be put within 10 feet of a computer. Is this for
> real? I have three computers in the house so I'd have to put the panel out
> in the back yard. Don't tell me Polly was correct about wireless.
>
> Bob

You've gotta live in a pretty small house.

It means, to put the receiver ........ that doesn't mean the main panel
.... away from any source of interference. Put it in a closet .... as
close to middle of the house as possible. Second floor ..... if
possible. Not being able to do that doesn't mean that you WILL have
problems. Just try to avoid it .... if possible. Also try to avoid
putting it or transmitters near large metal objects or mounting them ON
metal objects. Best thing to do is a test run. Pick a spot for the
receiver, take a transmitter and put it at each opening that you are
going to use a transmitter and trip the test unit. Look at the signal
strength. Do this for each opening. There's usually a couple of
locations at each opening that a transmitter can be mounted. A
difference of a few inches is usually sufficent to find acceptable
reception. If you have an unacceptable quantity of weak transmitters,
either change the location of the receiver (usually a foot or so will
do) or get a second receiver. For any home I do, of average size or
above, I always use two receivers. Saves from having to do too much
trial and error.

Likely you've got the opinion that wireless systems are just something
that you mount anywhere and they're going to work. It may, but chances
are, during the lifetime of the system, something is going to change at
your home that would throw a boarderline unit into the no reception
zone. It's better to make sure duing the initial installation that all
units are working at their best so that changes down the line wont
affect reliability. Doing any less is exactly the reason many
installers think that wireless systems are not reliable. They just
aren't willing to do what it takes to make it work.