Re: Wireless receiver - computer problem?

"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> ...Hint: This is not a DIY forum
>
> That's true.  It's a security alarms forum.  Any questions about
> security alarms are pertinent and welcome, regardless if they
> come from you, one of the IB or a DIYer.  Whether you choose to
> answer any particular question is your choice.  I choose to
> support DIYers because I like doing it and because some of them
> decide to buy from my online store.
>
> I ran an alarm company for nearly a quarter century and along the
> way I learned a few things about installing, servicing and
> monitoring alarms.  We also did a fair amount of custom audio /
> video work, mostly home theaters and multi-room sound systems.
>
> In my way of thinking, the knowledge I gained working in the
> trade, along with what I learn at trade shows, seminars and
> studying countless manuals is a marketable asset.  YMMV.
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bas
> www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

I can't help but notice the elevated level of paranoia regarding DIY among
some of the professionals. The DIY competition, if that's what one wants to
call it, exists in just about every market. Do these alarm pros respect the
other trades or are they themselves a DIY. Do they mow their own lawns or do
they have a landscape professional? Do they ever work on their own car or do
they always bring it to a mechanic. I surely hope they hire a maid, a
professional chef and a nanny. If they do any of that themselves, they are
threatening someone else's job. If my alarm business had such a tenuous hold
on the marketplace that giving a little advice threatened to put me out of
business, I'd come up with a better business plan.  Perhaps the alarm
business is not all that good. When I decided to put in an alarm system, I
called every company in the county that was listed in the Yellow Pages. They
were all out of business. I then called ADT and another company in an
adjoining county. Both wanted to charge me $800 up front, give me two doors
and two motions and then charge me $35 a month for monitoring. No fire
protection. Two other companies from the big city never called me back. With
such a sorry state of affairs, I started to plan my own system. And now
someone a million miles away thinks I'm taking business away from him.

Bob