Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

> IMO this is wide open to interpretation
> by the AHJ, since using auxilary contacts...

[sigh]  This is so basic that even Doug ought to know it.  Note the word,
"fundamentals" below.  Anyone who actually does this stuff for a living
ought to be familiar with the code.  Those who don't know are welcome to
speculate as to whether some inspector might or might not allow them to use
a non-listed device in a manner which is non-compliant.

"NFPA72  FUNDAMENTALS OF FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS 72-21
1-5 Fundamentals.
1-5.1 Common System Fundamentals.
1-5.1.2 Equipment.  Equipment constructed and installed in conformity with
this code shall be listed for the purpose for which it is used."

"1-5.3 Compatibility. All fire detection devices that receive their power
from the initiating device circuit or signaling line circuit of a fire alarm
control unit shall be listed for use with the control unit."

Oh by the way, the following is in reply to Frank's repeated challenges
regarding the UL listing of the software which my company wrote for Edwards.

"3-2.3 Software and Firmware Control.
3-2.3.1 All software and firmware provided with a fire alarm system shall be
listed for use with the fire alarm control unit."

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics