Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

> Robert's been involved in this type of
> debate for years.  It's no sense arguing
> with him.  He'll never understand that
> a residential burg panel is not a listed
> FACP.

You are absolutely wrong, Frank.  To use a residential burg panel with smoke
detectors anywhere in the US where NFPA is observed the panel MUST bears a
UL listing for residential fire alarm at a minimum.  You can not just
connect up whatever you happen to find to a fire alarm system -- residential
or commercial.

The problem is Olson (who neither works nor lives in the USA) has zero
understanding of our codes.  When you install smoke detectors or other fire
detection devices in a building in the US they need to be installed in
accordance with code.  Period.

Ill-informed people sometimes think that because the panel is a residential
burglar alarm the system is not a fire alarm and is therefore not subject to
code.  That is patently wrong.  In order to legally connect smokes to a
burglar alarm panel in a US residence the panel must be listed for residtial
fire and all fire detection devices which are connected to it must be
installed in accordance with code.

> I am however surprised that Al would
> suggest such a thing...

He probably read the suggestion from another technician who posted here
without knowing what the code requires.

> This having been said, there is however,
> no standard or code violation involved
> if a homeowner decides to connect his
> smoke alarm system to his burg alarm
> system (even if the equipment is UL
> listed for fire).

Wrong!  If he uses the Firex relay for the purpose it is a code violation.
The fact that you don't know them does not change our codes.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics