Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

In the April 2005 issue of SSI, Al Colombo suggests using a relay to connect
110VAC smokes to a monitored alarm system.  Al, a veteran poster to this
newsgroup suggests that every 110V smoke detector manufacturer provides a
relay which is listed for the purpose.

Unfortunately, this is not correct.  To the best of my knowledge there are
currently no such relays which have been listed for use with fire alarm
control panels.  There is at least one relay of which I am aware that was
designed to connect 110VAC smokes to external devices such as magnetic door
holders.  However, the manufacturer of this unit states that the relay is
NOT to be used with a fire alarm control panel.

Al's monthly articles in SSI are always interesting and informative, but
this one probably needed further consideration before you went to press.  It
is a code violation to connect non-listed devices to a FACP.  It is also a
violation to connect listed devices in a manner for which they have not been
listed.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass