Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

Robert,

You are right and then you may be a tad wrong.  Yes, these relays are
not listed for use with a residential burglar/fire alarm panel, but
because monitoring is not required in this venue, the Authority Having
Jurisdiction has it in his power to allow its use because it represents
additional protection that goes above and beyond what's required.
There are several smoke alarm models/manufacturers who have these
relays.  Another thing, most AHJs would at least require that the
ancillary relay in question be made by the same manufacturer as the
smoke alarm unit(s).

I asked several AHJs about this and they said exactly what I've just
shared with you.  You will be able to read about this in the June
issue. Relevant sections and such are included in the story. I've also
included some reasons why they may not want to do it. I believe in
allowing the reader to make up his mind.

Now, if you are talking about a code-compliant system where supervisory
monitoring or central station monitoring is required, then the use of
an unlisted ancillary relay in this case would never fly.  Of course,
if you ask UL or NFPA, the reply will have to be NO every time, but you
must remember that they ONLY deal with code, which means code-compliant
systems. But, NFPA and UL lives to serve the AHJ and not the other way
around. They are not in ANY position of authority to dictate what can
or cannot be done in a local jurisdiction.  The code is minimum and it
deals only with compliant systems.

No doubt, this call must be that of the AHJ, and on a case by case
basis. Some will allow it and some will not. I know and understand your
concerns over what was said in that story.  I should have told my
readers to tune in next month for more information.  To not do so was a
mistake on my part for sure.

Thanks for writing to me, Robert.

Al Colombo

P.S. I'm sure you don't know my background in the area of fire
protection.  FYI: I have worked in this venue for more than 30 years,
actively in the field as a technician or operations manager for 18
years. As a technician, I worked in the area of large code-compliant
systems in commercial and gov't settings. This includes special hazards
systems, such as releasing systems, such as Halon (now you know how old
I am), CO2, deluge, and restaurant suppression, in addition to the
usual fire detection system.

----
www.e-commkiosk.com
www.securitymission.com