Re: Wil I be able to use a Z-Wave controller

> "Dan Wright" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> <lots snipped>

 <snip>

>>Leviton also offers IR remotes to activate wall
>>controllers, an interesting touch and low cost.
>
> Good idea given the number needed and the cost. I'm biased towards remotes
> as its increasingly more difficult for me to get around so no wall switch,
> no matter how many loads it controls, is really convenient. $6 for a
> Palmpad
> is hard to beat.
>
>     http://www.automatedoutlet.com/_search.php?page=1&q=hr12a
>
> Plus, I have a couple of Prontos that can send X-10 RF.

A single Levition Vizia remote can control every Z-wave module in the house.
Depending on the confuguration and grouping, it might take a few button
pushes to get there.  (It uses soft menus).   Since there has to be one to
setup the system, there is always at least one handheld controller for the
user.

>>New work is much easier
>
> Hmmm. I thought the biggest selling point was that it's easy to retrofit.

It is , but my comment was meant to say was that a well thought out new
installation allows for much less wire to be run, its also simpler wiring,
and lower cost.   On an mid to upper scale new house, there is almost a much
wire for 3 and 4 way switches as for the single switch.  This benefit is not
unique to Z-wave, Insteon and even X-10 are about the same.   If users work
with their electrician ahead of time, they should see a substantive savings.

<snip>

> Thanks for the responses. Yours is the only credible reporting on Z-Wave
> that I've seen here since it was introduced.

Appreciate the kind words.   Wish I had the means to do some of the
quantified testing that people are interested in.