Searching for a easy communication home automation system

Hi,

    We are a student team of an ingineering school. We would like to build a
home automation system controlled by GSM. We know how to use and program the
GSM chip.

    We don't want to use X.10 as it really looks crappy (the main problem is
no error detection and no retransmission). But we are pretty interested by
Insteon and Z-Wave.

    Do you know any system on which one we could easily use a serial
connection to use it ? We are pretty interested by Insteon and the 2414S
controller ( http://www.smarthome.com/2414s.html ) but we don't know we
would be able to communicate with it. Z-Wave also seems good, but we don't
have any idea on how to communicate with a Z-Wave serial controller.

    Our school can help us to use ZigBee, but it seems that there isn't any
ZigBee product for home automation. And it seems to me it's too high level
protocol (compared to the Z-Wave & Insteon protocols which seem really easy
to implement and low cost chip).

So if we have any clue, we are really intered.

Florent Clairambault

Florent (at) Clairambault <DOT> fr