Re: Finishing Wiring Closet

"Longtime Lurker" <hatespam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:463bee8f.46941907@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote:
>
>>If it's a drop ceiling you could bring the wire
>>down inside one or more 2" diameter PVC
>>conduits to a surface mount cabinet behind
>>the rack.
>
> This is certainly an option. For this, how would
> the conduit terminate in the ceiling space?

If it's a drop ceiling you could place cable
clamps on the ends in the ceiling.  Just
don't tighten them beyond "snug".

> Then, how do I get the wire bundle neatly
> out of the cabinet and over to the distribution
> rack?...

You can make up several smaller bundles and
dress them with wire ties (again, not too snug)
or Velcro strips.

> What sort of cabinet did you have in mind?

I've used PVC and metal cabinets for things
like this.  However, I wouldn't select a free
standing rack for a residential app for the
reasons previously stated.  It would function
just as well, for sure, but I like residential jobs
to look ...well, residential.

> The room in question is a 10' ceiling, so I
> could certainly install some drop tiles, or
> anything else for that matter.
>
>>Alternatively, you could do what I've done
>>for a number of clients:
>>
>>1. Install a 4x8 sheet of ACX plywood
>>instead of drywall on a stud wall.  The ply-
>>wood goes up horizontally, 4" below the
>>ceiling.  Paint or stain the plywood.
>>
>>2. Bring the cables out of of one or more
>>holes in the wall directly above the plywood.
>
> This is certainly doable, too. But, that goes
> back to the original question - how do I get
> all those cables out of the wall in such a
> way that it looks neat rather than just a
> bunch of wires hanging out of the wall?

Actually it would be cables coming out of
the wall, but that can still be done neatly.
If the plywood backboard stops a few inches
below the ceiling the wires will come out of
the wall directly above it.  They get dressed
with wire ties or Velcro as mentioned above
and are fed into distribution rings and knobs,
then run directly to their termination points.

> BTW, your point about the freestanding
> rack is well taken, and I suppose I could
> go with wall mounted patch panels just
> as easily, and use racks for equipment
> that won't stay with the house. For what
> it's worth, I plan to live here a long time,
> though!

We always seem to plan that way, or at
least I do.  But I've had a dozen homes in
the last 35 years.  That's an average of
less than 3 years per location.  In my CT
home (the one I kept the longest) I had an
elaborate backboard similar to what I've
described here.  It was the "wiring closet"
for security, intercom and whole-house
entertainment systems.  The transmitter
and power supply for our 2-way radios
was in there, too.  The phone system
KSU was on the same board with cabling
for a dozen phones (10-room house).
We had sensors from an automatic start
generator set with auto-transfer, an
"E-panel" and just about everything else
-- all wired to the same place.

The wiring was neat, well organized and
clearly labeled.  Everything worked perfectly.
I felt that my work was an asset.  When
we decided to sell the realtor said it "might
not hurt the value" of the house.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass