Re: Finishing Wiring Closet

"Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote:

>If it's a drop ceiling you could bring the wire
>down inside one or more 2" diameter PVC
>conduits to a surface mount cabinet behind
>the rack.

This is certainly an option. For this, how would the conduit terminate
in the ceiling space? Then, how do I get the wire bundle neatly out of
the cabinet and over to the distribution rack? What sort of cabinet
did you have in mind? The room in question is a 10' ceiling, so I
could certainly install some drop tiles, or anything else for that
matter.

>Alternatively, you could do what I've done
>for a number of clients:
>
>1. Install a 4x8 sheet of ACX plywood
>instead of drywall on a stud wall.  The ply-
>wood goes up horizontally, 4" below the
>ceiling.  Paint or stain the plywood.
>
>2. Bring the cables out of of one or more
>holes in the wall directly above the plywood.

This is certainly doable, too. But, that goes back to the original
question - how do I get all those cables out of the wall in such a way
that it looks neat rather than just a bunch of wires hanging out of
the wall?

BTW, your point about the freestanding rack is well taken, and I
suppose I could go with wall mounted patch panels just as easily, and
use racks for equipment that won't stay with the house. For what it's
worth, I plan to live here a long time, though!