Re: Finishing Wiring Closet

"Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote:
>"Longtime Lurker" <hatespam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:463bee8f.46941907@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> This is certainly an option. For this, how would
>> the conduit terminate in the ceiling space?
>
>If it's a drop ceiling you could place cable
>clamps on the ends in the ceiling.  Just
>don't tighten them beyond "snug"

Actually, I think I may have found what I was looking for:
http://www.stifirestop.com/ezpath/

The cabling in the picture there is the look that I'm going for, it's
a firestop, and it allows for future expansion with no messy caulk.
Looks like a win. I'm open to suggestions for other/better/easier
solutions, of course.

>... but I like residential jobs
>to look ...well, residential.

Heh. Well, that's sort of the issue. Around here, most of the
residential jobs I've seen (from touring lots of model and new homes)
fall into 2 categories: wires hanging out of the wall, or a recessed,
premade panel. Unfortunately, the pre-made panels don't have the
capacity or flexibility I'd like.

> But I've had a dozen homes in
>the last 35 years.  That's an average of
>less than 3 years per location.

Fortunately, I don't think this will be an issue in our case, but you
never know. And I fully do understand your point. The guy from Best
Buy has to be able to install some gizmo for the next owners, and if
the wiring is too complicated, even if neat, well...

>The wiring was neat, well organized and
>clearly labeled.  Everything worked perfectly.
>I felt that my work was an asset.  When
>we decided to sell the realtor said it "might
>not hurt the value" of the house.  :^)

Seven years ago, I had to explain what structured wiring was to our
real-estate agent. Now, it's pretty much standard in every home we've
seen. So, it looks to me like this stuff is getting pretty mainstream,
and buyers are going to expect it rather than be afraid of it. Or, at
least, I hope so! :-)

Thanks for the advice! In a few months, I'll shoot you an email - I'm
going to need an alarm setup and various and sundries.