Re: Induction Cook top - Any X10 interference?

>>I'm curious, though.  Do you feel that the level of control with an induction
>>range equals gas?  Besides less gunk in the air, are there other
>>advantages to induction cooking?
>
> The level of control possible with induction heating can be very very
> impressive.  It is used industrially in many applications that require
> fairly tight control.  So the technology has the ability to do very
> fine, accurate and reproducible heating.
>
> But as to the induction cook tops, it's going to depend on the
> controls they have and if they have any feedback (which I would
> doubt).   It would probably not be that difficult to "enhance the
> controlls".  And I would expect that the heating of individual pans
> would be very reproducible from one use to the next even without
> fancier controls...

I doubt I'd ever try to enhance it if we got one.  As long as
it's possible to replicate what I did last time I made this
amount of this stuff in this pan, that would do fine.  The
other advantages you mention are enough to pique my
curiosity even more.  I'll look into this when we get around
to redoing the kitchen.  That may be a while since the
cabinets, other appliances and such are all brand new.

> Some of the "advantages" include more efficent heating (less energy
> wasted  the pan gets heated not the air around it); no open gas flame;
> a cook top that does not get hot unless the pan is on the stove;  And
> it cools down quickly when the pan is removed;  it reduces the need
> for gas in the kitchen; the eletricity can be generated locally if one
> is trying to be independent of "the grid".  All in all technically, if
> I recall correctly, it was a better choice than the resistive ceramic
> cooktops that beat it out in the market place.
>
> btw with your propane, watch out if you have a basement. Propane being
> heavier than air is more dangerous than regular natural gas.  Any
> leaking propane gas will accumulate in basements or crawl spaces which
> can lead to ....... "badda Boom".

I live in South Florida where basements are pretty rare.
Even if you dug one it would fill up with alligators.  :^)
I'm used to working with propane, though.  For pool
heaters it's still less costly than electricity so we're
probably going to have a tank.  Also, we love grilling
and it's "outdoor weather" here most of the year.  My
wife and I are both party animals, lots of BBQing and
stuff every excuse we get.  There's even been talk of
adding an outdoor kitchen.  That would certainly be gas
fired though there's no reason we couldn't do an induction
range in the regular kitchen.  Lots of possibilities, eh?  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics