Re: Induction Cook top - Any X10 interference?

Robert L Bass

>I'm curious, though.  Do you feel that the level of control with an induction
>range equals gas?  Besides less gunk in the air, are there other
>advantages to induction cooking?

The level of control possible with induction heating can be very very
impressive.  It is used industrially in many applications that require
fairly tight control.  So the technology has the ability to do very
fine, accurate and reproducible heating.

But as to the induction cook tops, it's going to depend on the
controls they have and if they have any feedback (which I would
doubt).   It would probably not be that difficult to "enhance the
controlls".  And I would expect that the heating of individual pans
would be very reproducible from one use to the next even without
fancier controls.

The cooktop we have was in this old house when we bought it.  And we
never used it.  The wife prefers the gas stove and we do use Aluminum
cookware occassionally.  So I pulled it out when we rebuilt the
countertops.  Thus while I have technical knowledge on the induction
cooktops and we own one, I've never used one...

Some of the "advantages" include more efficent heating (less energy
wasted  the pan gets heated not the air around it); no open gas flame;
a cook top that does not get hot unless the pan is on the stove;  And
it cools down quickly when the pan is removed;  it reduces the need
for gas in the kitchen; the eletricity can be generated locally if one
is trying to be independent of "the grid".  All in all technically, if
I recall correctly, it was a better choice than the resistive ceramic
cooktops that beat it out in the market place.

btw with your propane, watch out if you have a basement. Propane being
heavier than air is more dangerous than regular natural gas.  Any
leaking propane gas will accumulate in basements or crawl spaces which
can lead to ....... "badda Boom".

hths
ClamRake