Re: Induction Cook top - Any X10 interference?

"ClamRake" <ClamRake@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2umuc35o0ahn2vh6ktqrr1nb3rce6tj1ot@xxxxxxxxxx
> Robert L Bass
>>
>>I haven't tried an induction range so I can't comment on that.  Do those require specialized cookware or would my stainless stuff
>>work?
>
> The inductive stove tops require a magnetically susceptible pans &
> pots.   So steel works fine, cast iron works grreat.  Aluminum won't
> work.  Neither will copper.   But I think there were some Aluminum
> pots and pans with steel bottom inserts that can be used.

I don't use aluminum cookware.

> As for your stainless steel, it depends on the quality of the
> stainless.  If it is the harder less corrosion resistant "martensitic"
> stainless, then it is somewhat magnetic and will be heated by the
> induction stove top's magnetic fields.
>
> But if the cookware is the "better" corrosion resistant grade
> "Austenitic" stainless, it is non-magnetic and will not work with the
> induction stove top.
>
> You can use a refridgerator magnet to do your testing.

Thanks.  That's interesting information.  I always assumed that SS was
magnetic.  Checking my major cookware, magnets don't stick to any of
it.  :(

In this area almost everything is electric.  I hate using an electric range.
In fact, I cook for most major events on the gas grill.  It has the double
advantage of better control and not heating up the kitchen.  The
disadvantage is I have to make periodic trips to replace the cylinder.
I've been kicking around the idea of installing a gas auxiliary heater for
the pool.  That will require an in-ground propane tank and some tubing.
If we do it I'll probably switch the single kitchen stove and range for a
gas side-by-side oven and range.

I'm curious, though.  Do you feel that the level of control with an induction
range equals gas?  Besides less gunk in the air, are there other
advantages to induction cooking?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass