Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> DMX512 (aka DMX-512, DMX512a)  can read and(or) write one byte values to
each
>> of 512 addresses  ~44 times per second. This is faster than the human
flicker

>If DMX could issue 44 commands per second per address, it could turn a
>light on and then off only 22 times per second.  Is that what you meant?

No it is not. I mean what I wrote. It can change the steady-state 0-255 dim
level 44 times per second. The dimmer does the dimming.

>> fusion frequency under most circumstances (Q: Do incandescent lights
>>flicker when run on 50 hz power?)
>
>A:  No, because incandescent lights are very, very slow.

But they are what you are controlling, no?

>Q:  Do fast acting lights (LEDs, fast phospher in fluorescent tubes,
>CRTs, LEDs, etc) flicker when run on 50hz power?

They do not turn on-off faster than the human flicker fusion frequency which
is what I wrote. And you can't change the 60 hz frequency of the light
intensity  modulation  by turning the TRIAC gate control signal ON-OFF at
1000hz or one gigahertz or any other frequency for reasons I have posted
tediously already ;-)

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org