Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:01:36 -0400, Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> DMX512 (aka DMX-512, DMX512a)  can read and(or) write one byte values to each
> of 512 addresses  ~44 times per second. This is faster than the human flicker

If DMX could issue 44 commands per second per address, it could turn a
light on and then off only 22 times per second.  Is that what you meant?

> fusion frequency under most circumstances (Q: Do incandescent lights flicker
> when run on 50 hz power?)

A:  No, because incandescent lights are very, very slow.

Q:  Do fast acting lights (LEDs, fast phospher in fluorescent tubes,
CRTs, LEDs, etc) flicker when run on 50hz power?

A:  Yes.  Even if not consciously apparent to the human eye, 50hz and
60hz and even 120hz flicker is easily detectable with primitive
mechanical instruments, and is known to cause eye strain during extended
exposure.

> DMX is _designed_ for control of lights.

Yup, and someday I may want to add a DMX interface to my devices so they
can be controlled from such a standard protocol.  It's not on the
vintage chart today.

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com