Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:48:07 -0400, Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No it is not. I mean what I wrote. It can change the steady-state 0-255 dim
> level 44 times per second. The dimmer does the dimming.

And I am building dimmers, thus I need to turn the light on and off many
times per second and DMX is irrelevent (unless you can offer DMX dimmers
in the $5 to $10 per channel range when buying 4 channel blocks).

>>A:  No, because incandescent lights are very, very slow.
>
> But they are what you are controlling, no?

For the most part.  And their slow speed is why a 60hz A.C. dimmer
works.  But just because the output cannot reproduce the frequency, that
is no reason not to have the frequency.  E.g. CD audio was (and remains)
a useless waste a fidelity for most purchasers of CD content.

sdb
--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com