Re: X10 replacement?

Hello Marc,

>>Problems suffered by the many -- VCRs flashing 12:00, the Y2K scare, garage
>>doors accidentally open, HD crashes, malware, identity theft, security
>>system false alarms --  are cumulatively much, much more important than bad
>>experiences with X-10 by a relative few, IMO.

I agree, although people with an inquiring mind will eventually find out
that X10 didn't or doesn't work so well. Either during a web search or
by asking friends who tried it. That will not help the cause for HA.

Whenever I buy something important I always go out onto the Internet and
find out about other's experiences. That has substantially influenced my
purchasing decisions. And it has prevented purchases that I would most
certainly have regretted.

>>Maybe I just couldn't find them but the only remotes I see for Insteon
>>were these four:
>>http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=85
>>
>>No handhelds, no pocket remotes, no key fobs. Does anyone else make
>>those? I can hardly imagine HA without handheld remotes. My wife would
>>certainly not approve, that's what sold her on HA.
>
> And now I add as another of the problems and dis-incentives, the pile of
> dead/superceded/too complicated remotes of various protocols and vintages on
> every coffee table and kitchen junk drawer in the over-developed world ...

TV and VCR remotes, yes, mostly. But HA? Nah. Ours are plain and simple:
Eight pairs of buttons (on and off each), nicely labeled "Driveway
Lights", "Coffee Maker" and so on. Any HA system worth its salt
absolutely must have these. Same with keychain remotes. When we are
finishing work in the yard a bit late but still want to play a game of
table tennis a wee press on the button that's on the gate key will
secretly turn a switch inside the house and there is flood-light. Want
an espresso after dinner in the yard? No need to walk inside and up the
stairs. Press a button ... click. Morning coffee? Press another button
and turn around for another precious five minutes of shut-eye. My wife
would not want any HA if that feature was gone. No way.

> (Have I ranted yet about wall warts and other abysmal aspects of HA
> practicalia and aesthetics? ;-)

That's one of the points. HA companies need to talk to actual users and
not rely on assumptions like "Oh, people are going to like this one!".
Their execs should look at how medical electronics folks do that. We are
constantly at customers, notepad in hand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com