Re: X10 replacement?

HLS wrote:

>>Joerg wrote:
>

>>>Interesting. Ours doesn't have it but next time I'll ask whether they
>>>can order starter kits etc. Prices that I've seen elsewhere were a bit
>>>steep, like $39.99 for a light switch relay. Don't know if that'll fly
>>>with the average consumer and those are the guys who need to be
>>>convinced. We'll see.
>>
>>I agree that $40 for a wall switch is too much.  Likewise, $85 to $95
>>for a receptacle, is WAY too much.  Standard wall switches start at
>>just over a dollar and go as high as $7 or $8, some fancy models might
>>be over $10.  I understand these will cost a bit more but $40?
>

> I just did a quick count (in my head, I probably missed two or three).
> There are 27 standard wall switches controlling lights in my house.
> There is a single dimmer for the dining room light.  Further, there are
> ten switches wired in five three-way configurations and three more
> wired to a single set of lights (three fixtures).  Assuming I could
> simply replace each of these 41 switches with this $40 switch, it would
> run me $1,640 just for light switches!  And of course there are the ten
> or so pull switches on overhead lights in closets and in the basement.
> Of course, those items don't seem to be available anyway.  Receptacles,
> at $95 each will get out of control even faster.

Don't forget the controllers, remotes, software etc. Pushes you above
$2k in a jiffy. IMHO this will not fly at the $40 a pop price level. The
ICON series leads into the right direction by offering lower prices. But
it has to work and most people (including me) have now adopted a
wait-and-see attitude when it comes to HA. Because X10 was a bit of a
disappointment.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com