Re: X10 replacement?

Joerg wrote:
> Hello Marc,
> >>Also, I strongly believe that any new stuff must be available through
> >>hardware stores. X10 mostly wasn't and that's IMHO one of the reasons
> >>for its low market penetration.
> >
> > X-10 stooped being sold at retail outlets because when it was, it generated
> > too many returns.
>
> That doesn't surprise me at all.
>
> > FWIW, INSTEON is currently available at Home Depot
>
> Interesting. Ours doesn't have it but next time I'll ask whether they
> can order starter kits etc. Prices that I've seen elsewhere were a bit
> steep, like $39.99 for a light switch relay. Don't know if that'll fly
> with the average consumer and those are the guys who need to be
> convinced. We'll see.

I agree that $40 for a wall switch is too much.  Likewise, $85 to $95
for a receptacle, is WAY too much.  Standard wall switches start at
just over a dollar and go as high as $7 or $8, some fancy models might
be over $10.  I understand these will cost a bit more but $40?

Another complaint is the limited set of devices available.  I don't
believe there are nearly enough.  Can you get a GFCI receptacle for
either Insteon or UPB (or even X10)?  I can't find them.  What about a
lamp switch that replaces the built in switch on lamps, so I can
actually turn the light on or off with the lamp switch and still
control it remotely?  And for the lamp switch, I'd like both a single
switch and a three level switch.  What about combination devices like a
switch and switch-controlled outlet in one unit?  If a company is
serious about their home automation system, they need to offer a
complete line of devices or forget it.

Thirdly, there is literally one style of switch available for either
Insteon or UPB.  Even X10 has a pretty limited set of choices.  Perhaps
to some customers, appearance is of no concern.  I personally find the
big fat rocker switches to be ugly.  Of course, the same trend is
evident for "standard" switches at your local big box hardware store.
Have an electrician show you some catalogs and you'll see the wide
variety of switches you can choose from.  With apologies to Henry Ford,
if you want Insteon or UPB, you can have any style you like as long as
it's this one.

Henry