Re: X10 replacement?

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:01:46 GMT, Joerg
<notthisjoergsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<KXXUg.7484$TV3.6123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>As to HA in general, as I said before, nobody else in the neighborhood
>has any. Whether Inseon or X10 or other system. It's just not happening.

Perhaps we are in agreement but don't know it ;-)

If the "it" you refer to is exponential, 'explosive' growth, we agree. If you
mean double-digit growth, we disagree.

In my opinion, all the hardware ingredients are available at affordable and
justifiable cost when viewed as a component of home infrastructure and not as
a 'hometoy'. Absolutely no question in my mind.

What isn't mature yet is the average homeowner's ability to manage the risk
and complexity and the _downside_ of the HA power that is already available.
Problems suffered by the many -- VCRs flashing 12:00, the Y2K scare, garage
doors accidentally open, HD crashes, malware, identity theft, security system
false alarms --  are cumulatively much, much more important than bad
experiences with X-10 by a relative few, IMO.

Satisfactory management of the new, added _risk_ that powerful HA _creates_
is what will be needed for HA to grow exponentially, IMO.

That's a societal/legal/heuristic/humaninterface/AI/management/software/whew!
problem.  Not an X-10 problem.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org