Re: X10 Transmit Buffer

news:4462208f.36642046@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >AFAIK (and that ain't much!) the CM11A, besides having lower output
voltage
> >than most controllers, also suffers from a peculiar output voltage decay
> >during the signal transmission itself.

<stuff snipped>

> The CM11A fade problem is easily cured by changing one resistor. If you
> search CHA for "CM11A schematic John Galvin" and read the entire thread
> you'll find where John recommended two possible fixes. I've changed the
> resistor on one of my CM11As and can confirm that it now has a steady
> output. It's still just over half of that from other X-10 PLC transmitters
> but the fade is gone.

That's nice to know.  I doubt I'd be making any mods to the CM11A that
involved soldering.  I just reconfirmed my awful soldering skills by trying
to solder a replacement XLR connector for Dad's scooter that got lost.  The
shrink tubing shrunk too soon, the wire insulation got nicked by the
alligator clips I was using to hold it and the joint broke after a few test
tugs.  <sigh>  Soldering and I were not meant for each other.

> Doing that and then using Jeff's booster should really help with the
CM11A.

I was worried that the fall-off in voltage might cause the XTB to reject the
trailing edge of the CM11A signal, since its max voltage seems to be close
to his cutoff for weak signals.  If I see any evidence of that happening,
I'll advertise here for a contract solderer. :-)

Thanks again, Dave!

--
Bobby G.