Re: X10 Transmit Buffer

Hi Again,

See answers below:

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:reCdnWxWlp541_zZnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
> > I didn't include the CM11A because I had not specifically tested with
it.

> Fair enough.  Is the amplification proportional? Since the CM11A's output
is
> among the most anemic of all X-10 controllers would the amplfied signal be
> as strong as with the more powerful controllers like the Maxi (sort of an
> AGC) or would it be proportionally weaker?

Any X10 input above about 3.5Vpp produces a full-amplitude output.  Below
about 2.5Vpp, it doesn't output any signal at all.  Those thresholds seem to
work well, but they can be adjusted slightly through value changes if
necessary.  The low level cutoff prevents a feedback loop caused by the
buffer from coming on in response to an incomming signal being passed back
to the X10 controller.

> > I did test with the RR501 and a maxi-controller.  But, I don't see why
it
> > wouldn't work with the CM11A.  The only limitation is that the
plugged-in
> > module consume less than about 20 watts, which is 10 times what a
typical
> > X10 module draws.
>
> So you couldn't use the pass-through port or the switched outlet on any of
> the modules.  It is an easily replaceable fuse or catastrophic failure if
> there's error and someone plugs something into the module?  I suppose I
> could always just craxy glue an outlet cover on the amplfied device, just
> make sure.

It was intended as a booster for the TW523/PSC05, so pass through was not an
issue.  Inductors capable of passing several amps of 60Hz back to the source
device while totally blocking the high power X10 signal are prohibitively
large for this small package.

> It seems the best use would be for a centralized house controller like the
> CM11A that usually can't reach the outer edges of even a small home
without
> help.

My target was the TW523/PSC05 used with high end automation controllers, but
boosting the CM11A output would be an excellent application.

> What do the output pulses look like on a scope compared to something like
> Maxicontroller?

That is somewhat a function of line characteristics.  A tuned LC filter
couples the 120KHz to the AC line.  The waveform is near sinesoidal.  I
don't have a spectrum analyzer to determine its harmonic content.

> I never had much luck with my Boosterlincs.  Oddly enough, a remote branch
> circuit that used to be beyond the range of my Maxicontroller is now
working
> again without the Boosterlinc.  I believe that one of the new switching
> power supplies for an external drive has somehow boosted the signal or,
more
> likely, has neutralized some signal sucker on the line.  I test all new
> equipment with my Monterey but apparently devices affect the signal
> depending on what's plugged in nearby.

When this house was wired, I tried to have all "unfriendly" electronic loads
on one circuit fed through a big 20A filter.  And I placed all X10 devices
on one phase.  These two factors are probably the main reason we have had
such good X10 reliability.

Since then, unplanned loads have been creeping in here and there.  What got
me started on this project was that even though we still had virtually 100%
reliability, some of our X10 signal levels were barely acceptable.  I wanted
some safety margin.  The XTB has done that, and it should certainly help in
cases where reliability is a problem.

Jeff