Re: X10 Transmit Buffer

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> I didn't include the CM11A because I had not specifically tested with it.

Fair enough.  Is the amplification proportional? Since the CM11A's output is
among the most anemic of all X-10 controllers would the amplfied signal be
as strong as with the more powerful controllers like the Maxi (sort of an
AGC) or would it be proportionally weaker?

> I did test with the RR501 and a maxi-controller.  But, I don't see why it
> wouldn't work with the CM11A.  The only limitation is that the plugged-in
> module consume less than about 20 watts, which is 10 times what a typical
> X10 module draws.

So you couldn't use the pass-through port or the switched outlet on any of
the modules.  It is an easily replaceable fuse or catastrophic failure if
there's error and someone plugs something into the module?  I suppose I
could always just craxy glue an outlet cover on the amplfied device, just to
make sure.

> > The XTB would not be practical if you used a lot of mini/maxi
controllers
> or
> > TM751s, correct?  I assume they'd all require their own XTB.
>
> Not really.  Where reliability is most important for us is from the
Ocellot
> that pretty much runs everything.  And manual controllers are frequently
> used locally, so the signal may not have to propagate reliably throughtout
> the house.  But, that is certainly something to consider for someone who
> uses a bunch of manual controllers.

It seems the best use would be for a centralized house controller like the
CM11A that usually can't reach the outer edges of even a small home without
help.

> > What, if any, are the issues with increasing the transmit voltage?  Will
> it
> > overload any components in receivers that are close to the XTB?
>
> I can't answer that other than from my testing.  The XTB output 20Vpp into
> the circuit at my workbench.  I didn't measure it with a scope at the
> breaker panel.  The ESM1 pegs on circuts near the panel, but those levels
> drop off as a function of distance from the panel.  Most of the house is
in
> the 2.5V to 5V area, which is well above what I had with the Leviton 6201.
> I suspect the "normal" level is limited because most X10 transmitters use
> step-down output transformer to increase their drive current capability.
> Higher current means reduced voltage.

What do the output pulses look like on a scope compared to something like a
Maxicontroller?

> > Can you tell me more about part that says "The XTB also includes an
> > amplifier to boost low-level X10 return signals" and whether that means
it
> > might be modified to act as Boosterlinc does, hearing the first X-10
> "frame"
> > and retransmitting it in sync with the second command "frame."
>
> The first prototype passively coupled incomming signals back to the
> TW523/PSC05.  There was some attenuation in that path, and a signal that
had
> been marginal was no longer recognized by the Ocelot.  I added an
amplifier
> in that path to actually boost low level incomming signals in the present
> version.  Strong signals are still limited to prevent kicking on the power
> amplifier and setting up a feedback loop.
>
> I had thought about including a microcontroller to recognize and also
boost
> incomming signals, but I was concerned about running afoul of any
> Boosterlink patents.  Anyway, that market is already covered.  I don't
think
> the Boosterlink has the drive capability that the XTB has.  I believe they
> recommend one per each 1000 square feet.  Unless there are several bad
> signal suckers, one XTB can easily cover more than 5000 square feet.

I never had much luck with my Boosterlincs.  Oddly enough, a remote branch
circuit that used to be beyond the range of my Maxicontroller is now working
again without the Boosterlinc.  I believe that one of the new switching
power supplies for an external drive has somehow boosted the signal or, more
likely, has neutralized some signal sucker on the line.  I test all new
equipment with my Monterey but apparently devices affect the signal
depending on what's plugged in nearby.

> > Are you going to take deposits via Ebay or Paypal?  I'm definitely
> > interested in one.
>
> I just need names at this time to make sure I order enough printed circuit
> boards.  Those that don't follow through will be available to others.
I'll
> add your name to that list.

Thanks!

--