Re: X10 Transmit Buffer

Hi Bobby,

I'll answer below:

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ncidnQ1SEZXhh_zZRVn-rQ@xxxxxxxxxx
> So this would be a good thing to make a CM11A usable in a large house
> without requiring an in-panel repeater?   The CM11A was not mentioned as a
> compatible controller but I am assuming it is.  Is it? (-;

I didn't include the CM11A because I had not specifically tested with it.  I
did test with the RR501 and a maxi-controller.  But, I don't see why it
wouldn't work with the CM11A.  The only limitation is that the plugged-in
module consume less than about 20 watts, which is 10 times what a typical
X10 module draws.

> The XTB would not be practical if you used a lot of mini/maxi controllers
or
> TM751s, correct?  I assume they'd all require their own XTB.

Not really.  Where reliability is most important for us is from the Ocellot
that pretty much runs everything.  And manual controllers are frequently
used locally, so the signal may not have to propagate reliably throughtout
the house.  But, that is certainly something to consider for someone who
uses a bunch of manual controllers.

> What, if any, are the issues with increasing the transmit voltage?  Will
it
> overload any components in receivers that are close to the XTB?

I can't answer that other than from my testing.  The XTB output 20Vpp into
the circuit at my workbench.  I didn't measure it with a scope at the
breaker panel.  The ESM1 pegs on circuts near the panel, but those levels
drop off as a function of distance from the panel.  Most of the house is in
the 2.5V to 5V area, which is well above what I had with the Leviton 6201.
I suspect the "normal" level is limited because most X10 transmitters use a
step-down output transformer to increase their drive current capability.
Higher current means reduced voltage.

> Can you tell me more about part that says "The XTB also includes an
> amplifier to boost low-level X10 return signals" and whether that means it
> might be modified to act as Boosterlinc does, hearing the first X-10
"frame"
> and retransmitting it in sync with the second command "frame."

The first prototype passively coupled incomming signals back to the
TW523/PSC05.  There was some attenuation in that path, and a signal that had
been marginal was no longer recognized by the Ocelot.  I added an amplifier
in that path to actually boost low level incomming signals in the present
version.  Strong signals are still limited to prevent kicking on the power
amplifier and setting up a feedback loop.

I had thought about including a microcontroller to recognize and also boost
incomming signals, but I was concerned about running afoul of any
Boosterlink patents.  Anyway, that market is already covered.  I don't think
the Boosterlink has the drive capability that the XTB has.  I believe they
recommend one per each 1000 square feet.  Unless there are several bad
signal suckers, one XTB can easily cover more than 5000 square feet.

> Are you going to take deposits via Ebay or Paypal?  I'm definitely
> interested in one.

I just need names at this time to make sure I order enough printed circuit
boards.  Those that don't follow through will be available to others.  I'll
add your name to that list.

> --
> Bobby G.

Thanks for your interest,