Re: Sound recognition (not voice) - recording instances and duration of

"BondyBoy" <bondyboy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> After not going off all weekend it proceeded to go off at 9PM last
> night up until at least 12PM when we went to bed, I've recorded it all
> and'll have to take a look at the results tonight.
>
> The alarm in question isn't a neighbours but it's an emergency vehicle
> road crossing alarm that is supposed to stop the traffic to allow the
> fire engine to cross the 4 lane road, it seems they went out on a call
> last night and forgot to turn it off after they had used it. The police
> turned up at the end and, although they couldn't switch it off, they
> had to signal the people through, prehaps others had complained.
>
> (I did hear alot of road rage type arguments and car horns caused by
> the broken alarm, hopefully the mic would have picked that up too)

Crikey!  Don't they have a timer on that thing that automatically shuts off
after giving them enough time to cross the road?

We don't have systems like that in that US (AFAIK) although we do have some
equally problematic train crossing gates.  The New York Time did a series
recently about how poorly maintained "grade" crossings are and how many
people have been killed because of stuck relays and burned out bulbs.   Some
of the freight railroads apparently maintain the grade crossings only after
they've already killed or maimed someone.

Good luck in getting that unit fixed so that it doesn't go off.  Sorry that
I assumed it was you neighbor's alarm since I've never encountered a device
like you've described for roadway crossings.

--
Bobby G.