Sound recognition (not voice) - recording instances and duration of

I am trying to automate the recording of when, and how long for a
certain audio "Alarm" goes off. This alarm is located about 30 feet
from our house and the alarm can be going off for anywhere from 2 mins
to 30+ mins.

I need to use my PC (which is on 24-7) and its microphone (which i can
point towards the source of the sound) to take a note of when and for
how long the alarm sound is operating. I was thinking of using some
speech recognition program for this but am unsure if this would work
for the "Wa Wa Wa" of an alarm and not speech as is intended in these
applications.

I'm a VB programmer by trade so probably would be able to build
something to do this if I just knew where to begin. . .

it would be sort of like a motion dector security system but being
triggered by a specific sound instead of motion on a camera (the sound
in question is on a very short repeating loop)

does anyone have some usefull pointers on how something like this could
be achieved?

Cheers

Bondyboy