Re: What can I replace this latching relay system with?

"Steve Wechsler" <swechsler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> Just purchased a house built in the early 50s. Almost all the lights
> are controlled by latching relays, with low voltage switches in the
> walls connected to the relays in the ceiling boxes with 3 conductor
> cable

<stuff snipped>

Fascinating stuff.  Got any photos?  I'll be you could get "This Old House"
interested in taking on your project - they love stuff like that.

> Anyway, I'd like to replace this sytem with something a bit more
> modern. Although all the relays work (one or two are starting to give
> me a little trouble), I'd like to have the ability to dim lights, and
> even better, set up some automated controls. Is there any system that
> will allow me to use the existing wiring infrastructure? The walls are
> plaster so I don't want to tear them apart.

If you can bypass all the relays and keep the switches and outlets energized
all the time, you can use traditional PLC or RF control methods.  You may be
able to do that at each outlet but you may  only be able to do it at the
rotary switch, energizing each segment with a shunt.

Modern HA equipment that uses hardwiring usually requires CAT5 be pulled to
each switch and outlet for low voltage signalling and control purposes.

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Electrical-Electronics/lighting
-controls

Your 3 wire low voltage circuitry wouldn't likely cut it for anything but a
very home brewed system, especially if it's energized or interconnected in
unexpected or unknown ways.  "Undocumented existing cabling" as the phone
company techs like to say when they explain why they are laying new cable
and not using the old stuff.

My hunch is replacing the three wires with CAT5 in a plaster and lathe house
is way more than you want to undertake and I'd agree.  I'll bet that you
also want something standard that's not going to be a real problem when
selling the house.

I'd probably wire an Ocelot and a SECU 16 to the existing antique controller
to take over the function of "twist" and command.  That would allow you to
"twist" that dial in milliseconds, electronically.  You could map a standard
X-10 controller to your existing dial layout easily.   Then you could
replace the existing, non-dimming switches with PLC dimmers which you can
also control via the Ocelot and SECU16 relay controller.  That way you'd
have your dim function as well.   Add an RF transceiver and you can control
and dim the lights wirelessly.

A lot of this depends on exactly how the wiring is configured.  You'll
probably have to determine whether neutrals are pulled to each switch.  You
might have to test to see if PLC will indeed work at all in your application
before going very far.

The folks in the ADI forum should be able to tell you what such a solution
would entail, costwise, timewise and skillwise.

http://www.appdigusers.com/forum/

--
Bobby G.