Re: X10 General Question

"Mike C" <michaeljc70@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1138307124.377547.244710@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thanks- that worked.
>
> I've never used X10 before and wasn't sure how these parts all
> interacted.  I am a computer programmer and have installed a whole
> house audio system so I am not exactly a technical novice but these
> directions that the products come with aren't very clear on how the
> products interact with each other.

If you weren't more technically inclined than average, you would still be
trying!  I figured you were making the very easy to make error about which
button to push.  It's not obvious that you need to either have a
Maxicontroller (a device that allows you to send unit codes 1-16 on any
housecode via a twist wheel) or some other method of "teaching" the socket
rocket.

> The socket rocket directions make
> no mention of any of the other pieces in my bundle. Likewise, the
> motion sensor tells how to set the unit code, but not how to link it to
> a device. A high level overview of how their products interact would be
> nice if it were included.

I am surprised they are selling that bundle.  You have to master the fine
art of motion detector push button programming before you can figure out the
even odder "press three times" programming interface of the socket rockets.
Every see the old Twilight Zone about what happens when you push the
elevator button three times when you are already in the basement?  <g>

The further they got from the codewheels, the harder things got for the
average non-technical user.  There was a tradeoff, though.  No wheels meant
much smaller devices.  Reprogramming the suckers after a battery change was
such a bitch that I built a little two-AA battery pack with sewing needles I
use to change Hawkeye batteries without disturbing their settings.  Did I
mention I *really* hate the push button conga?  <g>  You'll find that the
dawn dusk settings and the time delay settings may give you some heartache.
The +1 feature just drove non-programmers crazy.  Who would think a device
set to unitcode 16 would effect unit code 1?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out.   You might also want to make sure that
none of the Hawkeyes can see each other.  By this I mean you'll get strange
reactions if two Hawkeyes can be triggered simultaneously or if one can see
the light controlled by the other.  Especially for devices that are +1 of
the Hawkeye in question.   I'd say front porch, bathroom, basement are OK
but bedroom, hallway and bathroom might be more problematic.

Still, as much as X-10 needs better docs, it's an awfully cheap way to
control a set of lights - and much, much more if you want.  I would think
carefully before investing any more money in X-10.  It may be on the verge
of extinction.  Or it could last another 30 years.  It's hard to say.
Welcome to the wonderful world of home automation!  Pick a protocol and
pray.

--
Bobby G.