Re: Z-Wave RF range

Petem wrote:

> "Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de news:
> XJednaNod_NtVx3YnZ2dnUVZ_silnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>>>Out here the houses that were insulated
>>>"extra good" also have insulation inside
>>>some interior walls. This is aluminum
>>>backed as well...
>>
>>I'm not surew where "out here" might be but I can assure you after working
>>on construction sites for over 24 years that aluminum foil backed
>>insulation is uncommon and that any backing in interior walls is rare
>>since it represents an unnecessary cost (something builders are loathe to
>>accept).
>
> \
>
> Been reading about this tread since the beginning and read a few other post
> of yours and Mr Houston,and I wanted to see real time application of
> z-waze(witch was for me something I wanted to use at my home)
>
> so here is my feedback to you and all other in this group about my on hand
> experience about z-wave
>
> I got this kit from a web site
>
> http://www.maisontechno.ca/en_produits_details.asp?id=20&ret=%2Fen%5Fproduits%2Easp%3Fid%3D8
>
> and I got a 2 of those
>
> http://www.maisontechno.ca/en_produits_details.asp?id=23

Their regular price looks kind of painfully high.

> I got it from this store cause its located in my country and I feel better
> dealing with people in the same country I live..even if I got better pricing
> somewhere else
>
> so I started to play with the remote and one single device(the lamp
> module),I first noticed that the range was about 30 feet in the front of the
> device itself but it was really less in the back of it10 to 15 feet at
> most( surely cause there is a metallic box grounded in the wall ...)then I
> installed all the lamp module,I could not make them work all the time (ok I
> did it on purpose,all the device where on different level and part of my
> home, BTW its a split level with attached garage with a size of 32*36 feet
> of 4 level)so one was in the basement in the front,one in the kitchen at
> earth level in the back and the other one was on the side on the bedroom
> level, top level)
>
> next I used the 2 dimmer that were kind of in the middle of the house,and I
> got more consistent communication,but still some problem,what I do notice is
> that those 2 dimmer have a very poor range, less then 10 feet if all by
> themselves,being in a enclosed metallic box must not help

10ft sounds wrong. I'd contact the manufacturer, something must be
broken. Unless you have a strong noise source on that frequency range
like a babyphone or something like that. Or a cordless phone because
some of them constantly chat with the base so they can beep if you walk
out of range.

> I didn't used PIR or any other sensor,but maybe placing some of those in
> good spot could create a good network,but from what I can see,if you use
> z-wave better be ready buying a lot of the stuff,cause you will need them to
> create a steady network path...
>

> now if there is some single repeater that could be sparse in the house,maybe
> it would be ok..
>
> And by the way Robert,I do have some insulation that have aluminium inside
> it,and some vapour barrier that is aluminium,and I have many interior walls
> that have vapour barrier like in the kitchen and in both bathroom and in the
> laundry room....

Just came back from the wood pile. Even the tarp over that is aluminum
backed. And this is not some super-tarp but the usual Costco edition.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com