Re: Z-Wave RF range

"Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de news:
XJednaNod_NtVx3YnZ2dnUVZ_silnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Out here the houses that were insulated
>> "extra good" also have insulation inside
>> some interior walls. This is aluminum
>> backed as well...
>
> I'm not surew where "out here" might be but I can assure you after working
> on construction sites for over 24 years that aluminum foil backed
> insulation is uncommon and that any backing in interior walls is rare
> since it represents an unnecessary cost (something builders are loathe to
> accept).
\

Been reading about this tread since the beginning and read a few other post
of yours and Mr Houston,and I wanted to see real time application of
z-waze(witch was for me something I wanted to use at my home)

so here is my feedback to you and all other in this group about my on hand
experience about z-wave

I got this kit from a web site

http://www.maisontechno.ca/en_produits_details.asp?id=20&ret=%2Fen%5Fproduits%2Easp%3Fid%3D8

and I got a 2 of those

http://www.maisontechno.ca/en_produits_details.asp?id=23

I got it from this store cause its located in my country and I feel better
dealing with people in the same country I live..even if I got better pricing
somewhere else

so I started to play with the remote and one single device(the lamp
module),I first noticed that the range was about 30 feet in the front of the
device itself but it was really less in the back of it10 to 15 feet at
most( surely cause there is a metallic box grounded in the wall ...)then I
installed all the lamp module,I could not make them work all the time (ok I
did it on purpose,all the device where on different level and part of my
home, BTW its a split level with attached garage with a size of 32*36 feet
of 4 level)so one was in the basement in the front,one in the kitchen at
earth level in the back and the other one was on the side on the bedroom
level, top level)

next I used the 2 dimmer that were kind of in the middle of the house,and I
got more consistent communication,but still some problem,what I do notice is
that those 2 dimmer have a very poor range, less then 10 feet if all by
themselves,being in a enclosed metallic box must not help

I didn't used PIR or any other sensor,but maybe placing some of those in
good spot could create a good network,but from what I can see,if you use
z-wave better be ready buying a lot of the stuff,cause you will need them to
create a steady network path...

now if there is some single repeater that could be sparse in the house,maybe
it would be ok..

And by the way Robert,I do have some insulation that have aluminium inside
it,and some vapour barrier that is aluminium,and I have many interior walls
that have vapour barrier like in the kitchen and in both bathroom and in the
laundry room....