Re: X10 signals can be TOO strong!

>> Hmm.  This sounds a lot like the strength of Z-Wave
>
> Hmm. Seems like fish-brain...

Hmm.  Sounds like Mr. Houston still can't disagree without resorting to childish taunts.  Most people stop making fun of other
folks' names when they reach middle school.

> still hasn't comprehended how Z-Wave works.
> The Z-Wave RF signal hops from one node
> to another SEQUENTIALLY until it has used
> up its 4 hops...

[sigh]  Let me try to explain this in simpler terms.  Imagine for a moment that Mr Houston's suggestion (made without benefit of
ever having seen, let alone tested Z-Wave) that this system can only travel 25 feet per hop.  If the controller is in the middle of
the home that's 100 feet in each direction.  You now have a maximum coverage of 200' in any direction.

Houston's idea that 217 additional nodes would all be unable to reach the controller assumes that al;l of them would be placed
beyond the 4-hop limit.  This would be true if they were all installed in a line.  Perhaps Mr Houston is accustomed to homes that
are ver-r-r-r-ry long and narrow.  :^)

> The Z-Wave RF signal is not ubiquitous.
> It goes from node A to node B, then it
> goes from node B to node C, then it goes
> from node C to node D, and then it goes
> from node D to node E.

Mr Houston is trying to force an erroneous conclusion by assuming that all nodes in a system are located in a straight line,
separated at 30' intervals.  The typical installation has nodes scattered throughout the home, each taking whatever is the optimum
rout from its location.

> This is the best case scenario...

Actually, it is a for all intents and purposes a non-existant worst case scenario based on a layout that would almost never exist in
a real world app.  I suspect Mr Houston knows this but he's so hell-bent on villifying Z-Wave that he insists it is normal.

> Lutron's RadioRA has repeaters every 25'
> which repeat in real-time. That RF signal
> IS ubiquitous.

Radio RA's repeaters repeat the signal after they receive it, just as all receivers do.  Nothing is truly instantaneous.

> The Insteon signal is semi-sequential and
> has a limited number of hops but it tends
> to become more ubiquitous as more nodes
> receive and repeat the signal...

Interestingly, the makers of Insteon came out with this after Z-Wave did the exact same thing.  The difference is Insteon suffers
from lots of problems which have been enumerated here and on various message boards.  Z-Wave is more robust than Insteon, has better
support (well, if we don't count Dave Houston) and is more likely to still exist 10 years from now.

> (simultaneously) but I suspect this is all
> beyond the comprehension of a tiny fish-brain.

Schoolyard insults stop bothering most people me around age 13.  Come to think of it, most people stop making schoolyard insults at
about age 13.

> Fish-brain really should put his shovel away.

I can't.  I need it every time Mr. Houston posts.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics