Re: Dedicated Z-wave sites?

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dvCdnXpPdpum8RzYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> But you still have to deal with device drivers, don't you?  That's where
> the
> failures are located.   IIRC, in the Linux study, the most failures were
> caused by sound card drivers at 40+, then network drivers, then IDE
> drivers,
> with only eight reported.  That's what I would expect.  Your driver
> wouldn't
> last long if it corrupted data, but if a certain slider on a volume
> control
> was twitchy, a driver might still survive without being fixed.
>
> Maybe you're doing a lot of what NOOKS does already in Charmed Quark.
> It's
> a lot of coding work to provide the sort of encapsulation and error
> recovery
> that NOOKS does.  It also costs CPU cycles - sometimes twice the normal
> load.

I dunno. I think that you are maybe stressing out over something that's not
nearly as big an issue as you are thinking. Yes, there are crappy devcie
drivers out there. And if you configure a machine with a fairly random set
of hardware, you can have problems. OTOH, there are quality products out
there that work, and they become known well enough. A machine that is set up
with good quality hardware and drivers, which isn't used as a daily use
machine (i.e. it's configuration is not changed and web surfing isn't done
on it and things that aren't needed are turned off in the OS, i.e. a
standard kiosk style touch screen client or a server in the closet) can be
stable for years without problems.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd
www.charmedquark.com