Re: Ability to drive multiple IR transmitters independantly from PC

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>You've named at least three chipsets, I'm sure there are more.  I've worked
>with quite a few of these adapters over the years (from at least a dozen
>different vendors) and have had very little success with getting most
>software working with them on a consistent basis.  There's plenty of points
>of blame possible, from the software itself doing a bad job of just using
>serial ports, hardware conflicts (irqs, etc) and that's all before getting
>to the USB driver's layer.  So in the real world there's lots of room for
>problems.  Thus having found success using multiport adapters I'm given to
>encouraging others to trying it.

And I've never experienced any such difficulties. Go figure.

>> I have used multi-port hubs.
>
>I'm not talking about hubs.  I'm sure you're delighted with your vast array
>of knowledge, thanks for sharing.
>
>> Macs never had true serial ports
>
>Well, here you're plainly wrong.  Granted, they weren't PC comm ports in the
>traditional sense but all (nearly?) pre-USB macintoshes came with two serial
>ports.  422 capable as well.

They had RS422 ports which use balanced signals. That's closer to RS485 than
to RS232 which uses unbalanced signals. Most people would regard RS232 as
"serial".

http://davehouston.net