Re: Ability to drive multiple IR transmitters independantly from PC

Frank Mc Alinden wrote:
> Hi Alexis
>
> Just a pity it wasnt multiples of 8 devices......
>
> If so you could use my FirM hardware  (which was initiailly designed
> for Homevision HA Controller  ,BUT would require a homebrew serial
> interface) ..You would also require a USBUIRT  to learn and generate
> the  ir signal...

Hi Frank,

I actually came across your system last night after posting, and it did
seem to have a number of characteristics that would make it very
suitable for this application.  Unfortunately, the cost is the main
prohibiter - am I correct in estimating the cost of controlling 10
devices as being:

2 x FirM controller @ $275.00 = $550.00
10 x FirM zone receiver @ $60.00 = $600.00

Total cost $1150.00

Unfortunately that's a little more than I'd ideally like to spend,
although I appreciate that it's worth the price for the flexibility, and
I love the ability to hook up receivers using simple CAT5 cabling.  I
also appreciate the cost would have been significantly less if there
were only 8 devices to control!

Many thanks,

Alexis.