Re: Ability to drive multiple IR transmitters independantly from PC

Alexis <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hey guys,
>
>I've got a situation where there's a number of identical displays in the
>same area, and need to be able to switch them on and off individually
>from a PC.
>
>Currently there are 10 identical displays, which accept commands from a
>remote control to switch on and off (discrete commands for each action).
>I want something that I can connect up to a PC and will allow me to
>switch on and off each display individually.
>
>Obviously this means that there has to be ten IR transmitters, each
>placed next to the sensor of the relevant display, and each of which can
>be driven independantly (i.e. sending the same signal to all 10 will
>result in all ten displays switching on/off - not the desired
>functionality).
>
>Whats more, the solution needs to be expandable to deal with up to
>twenty such identical displays, all of which need to be individually
>controlled.
>
>I had considered using single USB IR transmitters, plugged into a USB
>hub and then into the PC, but I doubt a single PC would be able to drive
>20 such devices concurrently, not least of all because it would run out
>of COM ports. So I'm looking for something which is designed to allow
>control of multiple transmitters independantly.
>
>Is there anything like this on the market? Ideally I'd like it to have
>an API so that I can interface into it from my own code, but that's not
>an essential requirement.
>
>Any help appreciated!

What's the distance from PC to displays?

USB has limited distance on the USB cable length. However, you could use an
external IR emitter with a long lead. This may require disabling the
internal emitter to prevent it from affecting multiple receivers.

The question is whether the PC can distinguish between multiple USB IR
modules.

I would ask the designer of USB-UIRT if you can use multiples. If so there
is an API for these devices and they are reasonably priced.

     http://www.usbuirt.com/

Is it possible to change the code that each display responds to? If so, you
only need one IR unit.

http://davehouston.net