Ability to drive multiple IR transmitters independantly from PC

Hey guys,

I've got a situation where there's a number of identical displays in the
same area, and need to be able to switch them on and off individually
from a PC.

Currently there are 10 identical displays, which accept commands from a
remote control to switch on and off (discrete commands for each action).
I want something that I can connect up to a PC and will allow me to
switch on and off each display individually.

Obviously this means that there has to be ten IR transmitters, each
placed next to the sensor of the relevant display, and each of which can
be driven independantly (i.e. sending the same signal to all 10 will
result in all ten displays switching on/off - not the desired
functionality).

Whats more, the solution needs to be expandable to deal with up to
twenty such identical displays, all of which need to be individually
controlled.

I had considered using single USB IR transmitters, plugged into a USB
hub and then into the PC, but I doubt a single PC would be able to drive
20 such devices concurrently, not least of all because it would run out
of COM ports. So I'm looking for something which is designed to allow
control of multiple transmitters independantly.

Is there anything like this on the market? Ideally I'd like it to have
an API so that I can interface into it from my own code, but that's not
an essential requirement.

Any help appreciated!