Re: Ability to drive multiple IR transmitters independantly from PC

> >Assuming you make use of single port devices all from the same vendor and
> >the then the same model/production run.  While a number of them do base
> >themselves on the same chipsets not all make use of the same driver
> >software, and some are worse than others.  Then there's the USB bandwidth
> >and power issues.  There you're running up against how well (or poorly)
the
> >hardware and drivers for the USB ports are set up.
>
> BULL!

You've named at least three chipsets, I'm sure there are more.  I've worked
with quite a few of these adapters over the years (from at least a dozen
different vendors) and have had very little success with getting most
software working with them on a consistent basis.  There's plenty of points
of blame possible, from the software itself doing a bad job of just using
serial ports, hardware conflicts (irqs, etc) and that's all before getting
to the USB driver's layer.  So in the real world there's lots of room for
problems.  Thus having found success using multiport adapters I'm given to
encouraging others to trying it.

> I have used multi-port hubs.

I'm not talking about hubs.  I'm sure you're delighted with your vast array
of knowledge, thanks for sharing.

> Macs never had true serial ports

Well, here you're plainly wrong.  Granted, they weren't PC comm ports in the
traditional sense but all (nearly?) pre-USB macintoshes came with two serial
ports.  422 capable as well.