Re: Ability to drive multiple IR transmitters independantly from PC

Dave Houston wrote:
> Since you were talking about USB repeaters I assumed cost was not a factor.

Cost is always a factor! ;)

To be honest, I hadn't really considered the cost of USB repeaters as
extending the IR LED wiring was always my first plan - my soldering
skills, while not fantastic, are more than up to the challenge of that.
  Anything involving breadboard and through-hole components I can
usually manage, as an indication of my capabilities - but I don't have
the kit to do surface-mount soldering.

For the record, I'm not at all adverse to paying for a commercial
solution, but it needs to not be *too* expensive.  Say a maximum cost in
the region of $500-$750 for 10 displays - ideally less, of course!

> What are the details on the codes you need to send? Carrier frequency, code?
> It may be possible to design something quite cheap to accomplish this. Can
> you program in Basic?

I have to admit to my ignorance on this unfortunately.  The projectors
are NEC VT650 models, but unfortunately I'm unable to find any details
of the IR specifications on the 'net.  Is there anything you can suggest
without knowing this information?

Java is my programming language of choice - I've done projects that
interface with parallel and serial ports from within Java, so if you
have something like that in mind, I should be able to build the code to
drive it without too much difficulty.  I also have plenty of friends who
can code in C/C++, and I'm sure some of them will have Basic skills, so
I'll figure something out on the software side if you can give me some
hints on the hardware side!

Thanks again,

Alexis.