Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

Frank Olson wrote:
> robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

> > You might want to read NFPA 72.  That is the National Fire Alarm Code.
> > NEC is the electrical code.
>
> NEC refers to NFPA...

And NFPA specifically says you can't use any device on a fire alarm
unless it's listed for the purpose.  Readers may wish to investigate
this further.  The process of "listing" a device for use with a control
panel involves testing it with the panel to make certain not only that
the device will function but that the system as a whole will conform to
code requirements.

One of the requirements of a fire alarm system, be it residential or
commercial, is that all initiaing devices (smoke detectors, heat
detectors, etc.) be supervised against accidental disconnction.  This
is simply not possible with integrated 110VAC smoke detectors.

Another requirement is that all of the parts of a fire alarm system
have two power sources.  This typically consists of a transformer
connected to AC and a rechargeable battery in the control panel.  While
all current 110VAC smoke detectors have 9V backup batteries in them,
the relay device does not.  It will not function during a power
failure.  Furthermore, some od these relays have the annoying habit of
triggering upon power restoral, causing a false alarm.

Because of these weaknesses the FIREX 499 relay (one of the models
cited by Mr Olson) is specifically NOT listed for use with an alarm
control panel.  The manufacturer even went so far as to state in the
installation instructions that the device may not be so used.

> You *still* haven't provided specific wording to refute
> my argument...

I have before and I will repeat it here.  The following are directly
quoted from the manual:

"WARNING: The relay will not op-erate without continnuous AC power...."
and
"The relay module is not recommended for use with automatic dialers or
security alarm panels."

http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals/firex/110-278F.pdf

> that doesn't involve "fire alarm systems".  A self installed
> home security system is *not* a "fire alarm system".

Code makes no reference to who installs the system.  Any alarm system
which includes smoke detectors must comlply with the NFPA.

> A professionally installed burglar alarm is also *not* a fire
> alarm system...

If it includes fire detection it is.

> --- snip unrelated stuff about inspectors in Canada ---

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com