Re: Multimedia

>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:50:24 -0400, eschuylerTAKE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>wrote in message  <tPqdnY3QCLteySPZnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>Jist so others do not misunderstand, the Fujitsu 3400 tablet PC  is
>>*not* a touch screen in the conventional sense. If you touch it with
>>your finger, or a celery stalk, or a pencil, nothing useful happens. It
>>requires a special wireless electronic pen.
>>
>><remainder snipped>
>>
>Marc,
>
>I don't believe this is correct. Based on the manual on the Fujitsu web
>site, the digitizer on the 3400 is a resistive type, and the pen is
>*not* active, just a mechanical stylus. This should mean that any
>pressure on the digitizer will activate it.
>
>Eric

I now have both a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 and a 3500. Eric is quite correct
that the stylus is purely mechanical, not electronic as I wrote.  But
turns out that I was correct that "if you touch it with your finger, or a
celery stalk, or a pencil [eraser], nothing useful happens".

Pressing as hard as I dare with my finger, nothing happens unless I use
the sharp edge of my fingernail.  So, in general, you do need some sort of
a pointed tool. The styli that come with the 3400 and 3500 are passive
(not electronic) so there is no click or right click or double click
except what you can do via taps and (apparently) a built-in right-click
icon that does not yet seem to work on my tablets.

Launching an object on the screen by double-tapping with my fingernail is
problematic at best. In practical use, for me this means needing to have
some sort of a stylus to avoid frustration.

So the Stylistic 3400 and 3500  are not "touch screens" in the sense of
being able to "touch" the screen with one's finger and make something
happen. This may be a distinction without meaning or consequence for some
folks, but in a public setting (I've installed a touch screen in a museum,
for example) the Stylistic tablets would be unacceptable in my opinion.
They are also too fragile for public use although fine in a home setting
with bit of accommodation/training and care.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org