Re: Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

>> True.  Installing dealers have variously claimed that keeping product
>> documentation and software tools away from end users "preserves the
>> integrity" of their systems, protects them from liability and all sorts
>> of other nonsense.
>
> Name one such "dealer".

Google the word "liability" in the security newsgroup where you flame me
roughly 20 times a day (speaking of "agenda").

> I suppose you'd advocate DIY'ing elevators if
> you could manage to sell the parts required...

Naah.  Too heavy to offer free shipping.

> Do you do your own brake jobs??

Nope, but that's because I'm not an auto mechanic and brake work requires
expensive tools which most DIYers don't own.  I have a cousin who is a
network communications engineer.  He's also a knowledgeable mechanic who
fixes his own cars.  If I were expert on things automotive I might sell auto
repair parts online.  Since my expertise is in alarms and systems
integration, I sell alarm and HA systems online instead.

>> The reality is most alarm dealers don't want
>> clients to know how to change service providers.
>
> Most clients have a contractual arrangement...

Exactly!  Monitoring revenue is the prime reason dealers want to keep end
users from learning how to service their own systems.

> It's a lot like the insurance contract...

No, it's not but that is irrelavent to the discussion at hand.

> If they want a UL (or ULC) listed monitoring station
> to receive the signals from their alarm equipment and
> respond in the appropriate manner, they're going to
> have to go through a dealer...

Bullshit!  Each central station makes its own decision whether to offer
services to DIYers.  Some do.  Some don't.

> (much the same as when you were flogging
> monitoring for Alarm Central, remember??)

Flogging?  I offered their services for several years.  I don't make enough
profit on it for the time required to maintain the service so now I just
refer people to online vendors who offer services direct to DIYers.
However, Alarm Central is UL listed and they do monitor DIY systems.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics