Re: Inspections: (was Re: mixed voltages in Altronix ALTV244 box)

> So the fact that 18 AWG is much larger than is needed for the power
> requirements of any given device is quite irrelevant to the responsibilities of
> the inspector. And so whether he understands that or not is also not important.
>
> What matters is that if a device is not marked as Class 2 (as all the wall
> warts in your house _should_ be), the National Electrical Code that he is
> enforcing *requires* it to be treated as if it did not have Class 2 intrinsic
> power limitation  and so would need to be treated (at least) as Class 1 (=< 30
> volts and =< 1000VA with related higher wiring requirements) in order to assure
> safety to people and property according to the Code.

 As a quick aside.. the above makes sense to me. As with standard
120vac wiring, the wire size is not calculated from load current but
from circuit protection... a 20a circuit breaker will use 14g wire
(IIRC). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

 Back to the power supply.. as there is no partiton between high and
low voltage, and I don't really have a choice about using this
particular power supply, can anyone suggest minimum (code) or better on
how to properly hook this thing up?

 Thanks,

 Jim

 and here I was about to unroll 1 kay feet of Cat 5 to see at what
footage it goes from glowing to burn up..